These three words denote faithfulness to a lot of people. When you speak your vows, you promise to love, cherish and honor your partner. A Trilogy ring serves as a reminder of those vows and a sincere dedication to living by them. This is a major reason why Trilogy rings are often stacked together with wedding bands.
How much one should spend on an engagement ring is a personal choice, but it boils down to logic and emotion. There are two main factors below:
The goal is to find a balance between the two. Situations vary from person to person and it’s important to know where you stand. The most important rule to remember? Don’t rely on the hyped “two months' salary” rule that’s being paraded around which was cleverly invented by a marketer.
1. Your Financial Situation
Your future is the most important aspect to consider when deciding how much to spend on a ring. Therefore, along with her wants and requirements, it’s important to know what you can afford. In short, you should not put yourself in debt to purchase the ring. Many young couples are already up to their necks in student loan debt and it’s unwise to go deeper for a ring.
Once you know how much you can spend on a ring, buying your ring online may be a good idea. It’s recommended that you look online for buying your ring as online sales are up to 40% cheaper than local jewel prices.
2. Her Expectation
Let’s admit it, the ring is very significant. And we cannot ignore or downplay its importance for the following reasons:
● An engagement ring is a representation of your love and commitment to your spouse. It shows that you are invested in a shared future.
● A lot of women have long ago dreamt about how they want their rings to be, sometimes right down to the style, diamond shape, etc. Getting a ring that's not
exactly or at least close to what she wants could be a great disappointment to her.
● Rings are worn every day by women. Among all her jewels, the ring is going to be special and the most significant piece of jewelry she’ll ever own. And it’s only natural that women would want something that makes them feel special and something show off to their friends. They will appreciate the fact that you’ve put in some effort to get the perfect ring for them. It’s also worth noting that the dream ring for lots of women does not cost as much as you think it will!
Find Your Own Rule
You should first have a sincere conversation about expectations and finances to ensure that both of you are happy. If you're going to spend the rest of your life together, you need to be on the same page on decisions like these. For instance, are you paying off students’ loans, or you desire to save funds for a down payment?
Once this is done, it will be easier to figure out just how much you both are ready to spend on an engagement ring. It may not sound romantic to talk about the cost of getting a ring; however, it is important that you do so. Maybe she’s the type of woman who does not want a diamond ring. She might also be frugal and shocked by the thought of spending up to £1000 on a ring. In any event, you’d want to know.
It’s better than going deeper into debt and getting a really pricey ring that she doesn’t appreciate because you had no idea of her choice of the ring.
Tip: Over 40% of women have admitted that they would love to be involved in the process of selecting a ring. The importance of getting a ring that fits her style cannot be overstated.
Other Things To Consider
Do you have an idea of how much you want to spend on a ring? Before you begin putting aside money for the ring, there are some other things you might want to
● Treat her as seriously as you treat yourself
If you spend a lot of money on your toys, watches, hobbies, and other things you like, you should be willing and
ready to spend just as much on her engagement ring.
● Take your time
Do your research, take your time and ask the right questions, Don’t rush into this process, and make sure you’ve covered all basis.
● Consider future big purchases
There might be other important purchases planned for the future, such as buying a house or a car. Make sure to have those
in consideration when defining your budget for an engagement ring.
Tip: Over fifty-five percent (55%) of women admitted that they preferred a fairytale proposal to a large diamond engagement ring. One of the most special and memorable times of a lady’s life is the proposal and a fairy-tale proposal is one she’ll keep on telling forever, You can also read our complete guide on how to buy an engagement rings
# SHOULD YOU BORROW MONEY TO PURCHASE AN ENGAGEMENT RING?
If possible, don’t borrow money to buy an engagement ring. Only spend what you can afford. This, however, might not always be possible, especially when you’re dealing with loans, as it might take up to a year to save up for a ring. If that is the case, the best option available is to finance the ring
or putting the ring on a credit card. It’s vital to know that financing a ring doesn’t give you the go-ahead to buy the biggest diamond ring you can find. You should always stay within your budget. Picking a ring that suits your personal budget will be more ideal.
● First, develop a pay-off plan if you are going to put the ring on a credit card. It will be better if you have some amount of money at hand and then borrow the rest.
● Many credit cards offer zero percent (0%) APR if you are a new customer. This can be a big way to save money and reduce the amount of money you need to
pay as interest. However, you should have a concrete plan on the ground that will help you settle the balance prior to the end of the promotional time. You can seek
a low-interest credit card if you need more time.
● Some jewelry stores might have financing options as well. But owing money to jewelry stores might be risky as they usually have high-interest rates.
# WHAT ABOUT BORROWING MONEY FROM A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER?
Borrowing money from a family member has both advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, the family member won’t charge interest or carry out credit checks. But your relationship with him/her could turn sour if you are not able to pay back the money in due time. If you must borrow from a family member, make sure to make it as formal as possible.
# HOW TO SAVE MONEY FOR AN ENGAGEMENT RING
1. Avoid shopping during peak times Rings are usually very expensive prior to valentine’s day and around thanksgiving. Try not to purchase a ring during peak
2. Understand diamonds before making a purchase
Make sure you have a good understanding of diamonds prior to engaging in a purchase. Study the 4Cs
anything else related to the diamond market. The more equipped you are, the better deal you will get.
3. Do not go for whole and half carats The costs of the whole and half-carat diamonds are significantly higher. You can save as much as 20% by purchasing a diamond at a fraction of a carat smaller. For example, 0.90 carats rather than 1.00 carat. Most people won’t even tell the difference in size.
4. Don't get carried away by the quality The color and clarity of the diamond are not as significant as you may presume. Don’t spend too much on those C’s as they are not as noticeable as a poor cut. Rather, go for a perfect cut. An excellent cut diamond has more fire and brilliance and will hide any types of flaws. We recommend diamonds in the VS2 clarity and H color range for a well-balanced diamond. This ensures that you’ll get a white diamond that will appear eye-clean, while not requiring you to break the bank.
5. Make the center stone look big A halo setting is preferred and recommended setting to enhance the beauty of the center stone. Not only is it beautiful and trendy, it also has a bling factor.
6. Consider a fancy cut or a different stone Have you considered a fancy cut such as emerald, oval or marquise-shaped diamond? Or, perhaps, did you think of a more affordable option such as a moissanite or cubic zirconia?
7. Purchase a 9k white gold Another way to save money is to choose a cheaper setting. White gold is a cheaper option than platinum. And 9k gold is more affordable than 18k or 14k gold.
# HOW SHOULD YOU CLEAN THREE STONE RINGS?
A diamond will lose its sparkle when worn every day. For example, lotion, hairspray, body-spray, or makeup will infiltrate the ring and make it dirty. Fortunately, the diamond’s sparkle can be restored by using simple home cleaning methods.
A good way to clean a diamond ring at home is to soak the ring into a solution of warm water and dishwashing soap for about twenty-five to forty minutes and then use a very soft toothbrush to brush the diamond carefully. Then gently rinse under running warm water, and repeat if needed.
You could also use other cleansers like body wash or shampoo. The only thing to avoid is anything that also contains moisturizer. Moisturizing products leave an unwanted film on the surface of your ring. Also, avoid paper towels when drying the ring as it might actually scratch the metal. Instead, let it air dry or if you must, use a soft cloth made of cotton.
How frequently should i clean my ring?
If possible, try to clean the ring once a week. We also recommend bringing your ring at your local jeweler every six months for a deep clean using professional-grade products.
What should you avoid when cleaning your diamond ring?
Avoid using household cleaners such as chlorine, bleach, or acetone. These harsh chemicals break down some of the base metals present in the mounting of your ring. Also, all abrasive products such as baking soda, toothpaste, or powdered cleaners, should be avoided as they can easily scratch metals, especially gold.
Avoid the use of ultrasonic jewelry cleaners at home.
Although ultrasonic jewelry cleaners produce sparkling results, you should avoid using them as all that vigorous movement might cause stones to become loose and fall out of the setting. A professional jeweler would be able to test the stones and find out whether they are all properly set and secure them on the spot if required, Read our blog on how to clean diamond jewellery at home
to know more.