The two major things to consider when choosing a setting are the design of your setting and your choice of backing. The two best setting designs to choose from are prong and bezel settings.
1. Prong Setting: This setting exposes the diamond, enabling more of the stone to be seen. This setting allows more light into the diamond, which causes it to sparkle more, and also makes it appear a bit larger. However, prong settings a bit more upkeep to ensure they do slip out of place thus, resulting in the potential loss of your stone. This means occasionally get the setting checked.
2. Bezel Setting: This setting circles the diamond almost completely, mostly showing only the top of the diamond thus, providing protection to the diamond against any wear and tear, and also providing security from being dislodged.
In the case of diamond stud earrings, there are also other things to consider when choosing a setting. You’ll want to consider a setting that enhances sparkle, maximize the size of your diamond, and provides security for your diamond.
1. Setting that enhances sparkle: To maximize your diamond sparkle, opt for the least amount of metal on the stone as less metal equals more diamond being visible to the eye. Opt for a setting with 3 or 4 prongs as an eye-catching choice.
2. Settings that maximize the size of your diamond: Prong settings also maximize the size of your diamond, as it covers the least amount of the surface of the diamond thus, exposing the diamond more. If you’re looking for a larger sizes diamond, opt for a prong setting to expose as much of the surface of the diamond as possible.
3. Settings that provide security of your diamond: The main security concern of diamond stud is ensuring the diamond doesn’t fall out of its settings. The best security for your diamond is offered by a bezel setting, as a thin metal strip is pushed around the gem to secure it; which also means a part of the diamond’s surface area will be covered. However, a white metal bezel can make a colorless diamond appear larger even while it provides the best security.